Welcome to issue 180 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of May 8 to 14, 2011.
Eric Kow released the second edition of Parallel Haskell Digest.
Don Stewart sent in a proposal from the Haskell.org committee to incorporate Haskell.org.
Lazycat Manatee has released a new version of Manatee.
Quotes of the Week
- Richard O'Keefe: [On iterators and generators] This being Haskell, I'm expecting to see Cogenerator...
- luqui: Haskell is a DSL for writing monad tutorials.
- mattmight: Coq is a tool for turning ordinary programs into POPL papers.
- kmc: most CS courses will teach you four kinds of Java
- geheimdienst: haskell makes hard things easy and easy things a strong lax monoidal endofunctor ...
- spoolio: Haskell programmers know the cost of nothing, the type of everything, and might know the value of a few things later.
- catamorphism: FP is related to FP in the same way that UML is related to OOP.
- geheimdienst: * geheimdienst will from now on use a function carpeTiem aliased to getCurrentTime
- edwardk: [on data-accessor] However, its choice of internal representation makes me throw up in my mouth a little bit
Top Reddit Stories
- Fancy function graphs!. From (pnyf.inf.elte.hu), scored 47 with 21 comments.
- Online SVG figures with Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 46 with 11 comments.
- Erlang-in-Haskell: an implementation of an Erlang-like distributed computing framework for Haskell. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 41 with 2 comments.
- Why Eager Languages Don't Have Products and Lazy Languages Don't Have Sums. From (james-iry.blogspot.com), scored 38 with 35 comments.
- Introducing JsonGrammar. From (martijn.van.steenbergen.nl), scored 34 with 2 comments.
- The reasons I don't write all my code in Haskell. From (codeflow.wordpress.com), scored 33 with 34 comments.
- Two fun bits of Haskell teaching news. From (serpentine.com.nyud.net), scored 28 with 3 comments.
- Themes on Streams. From (byorgey.wordpress.com), scored 26 with 1 comments.
- CmdArgs - Fighting the GHC Optimiser. From (neilmitchell.blogspot.com), scored 20 with 15 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Safe execution of untrusted Haskell code votes: 19, answers: 2
- When do I use ByteString and when do I not? votes: 16, answers: 2
- Why can I not make String an instance of a typeclass? votes: 14, answers: 3
- Android application in haskell votes: 11, answers: 1
- What are the most important abstractions in Haskell? Monads? Applicatives? votes: 9, answers: 3
- Overriding (==) in Haskell votes: 8, answers: 2
- Comparing design by contract to type systems votes: 8, answers: 3
- Create a static Haskell Linux executable votes: 7, answers: 3
- Haskell — parallel map that makes less sparks votes: 7, answers: 1
- Memory efficient algorithm for 'take n (sort xs)' ("sorted prefix") problem votes: 6, answers: 6
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz