Welcome to issue 181 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of May 1 to 7, 2011.
Last week I failed to note the announcement of a new version of Leksah (0.10.0). If you haven't yet, give Leksha a test run and send some feedback!
Ketil Malde started a thread about Robert Harper's thoughts on monads and laziness.
Hakim Cassimally extended an invitation to anyone living in the Northwest UK for Tuesday May 31st to Geekup's first ever "Functional Programming Night".
Andy announced a new release of Manatee (0.2.1).
Quotes of the Week
- hpc: [SPOILER] You can check wikipedia for the definition of fibonacci sequences if you get stuck after half an hour
- pmetzger: it is always possible to make an algorithm slower. just give it to a CS freshman to code up.
- kmc: ghc -XMixfixOperators -XDependentTypes -XMakeMeASandwich
- pmetzger: I have my password tattooed to my forehead. that way when I forget it others can tell me what it is.
- alexbagel: i find that my first 26 variables are always easy to name. after that it becomes a bit harder.
- Eric Kow: Haskell is a good fit for me because I tend to practise Doh!-oriented programming
Top Reddit Stories
- More points for lazy evaluation. From (augustss.blogspot.com), scored 56 with 24 comments.
- iterIO: iteratee-based IO with pipe operators, courtesy David Mazieres. From (haskell.org), scored 43 with 15 comments.
- Monad comprehensions are finally in GHC. From (self.haskell), scored 37 with 32 comments.
- Horner's Rule. From (patternsinfp.wordpress.com), scored 34 with 2 comments.
- Patent 5,893,120 reduced to mathematical formulae (via Haskell). From (paulspontifications.blogspot.com), scored 31 with 13 comments.
- Custom Haskell mug!. From (imgur.com), scored 31 with 6 comments.
- Differences between 'data' and 'newtype' ... in pictures. From (stackoverflow.com), scored 31 with 2 comments.
- Haskell: not pure enough?. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 30 with 19 comments.
- Galois is hiring computer scientists. From (corp.galois.com), scored 27 with 28 comments.
- Fancy comparison of Data values. From (pnyf.inf.elte.hu), scored 26 with 18 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Ordering of parameters to make use of currying votes: 43, answers: 3
- Difference between 'data' and 'newtype' in Haskell votes: 29, answers: 2
- How do you design programs in Haskell or other functional programming languages? [migrated] votes: 24, answers: 0
- Haskell: why the convention to name a helper function "go"? votes: 24, answers: 3
- Haskell Graphics Library that works in GHCi on MacOS X votes: 19, answers: 3
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz