Welcome to issue 180 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of May 15 to 21, 2011.
Janis Veigtlander announced that the 20th edition of the Haskell Communities and Activities reports is hot off the press!
Simon Marlow announced that he has put together a tutorial on Parallel and Concurrent programming in Haskell.
Quotes of the Week
- Sergey Mironov:I looked further and found that 'Oleg already did it'.
- monochrom: just say "yes"
Top Reddit Stories
- Wolfgang - A Wolfram Alpha clone in Haskell (under heavy load?). From (jabberwock.xs4all.nl), scored 75 with 10 comments.
- Numeric Haskell: a tutorial about the multi-dimensional, parallel arrays package, Repa. From (haskell.org), scored 54 with 7 comments.
- Space leak zoo: a catalog of common space leaks in Haskell programs. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 41 with 7 comments.
- Exercises in Optimization: A (soon to be) three-part series detailing an adventure in optimizing Haskell code.. From (csks.wordpress.com), scored 34 with 0 comments.
- Tutorial: Parallel and Concurrent Programming in Haskell :: PDF. From (community.haskell.org), scored 33 with 7 comments.
- Anatomy of a thunk leak: How to debug Haskell's most famous space leak. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 32 with 3 comments.
- Preview release of diagrams EDSL for declarative drawing. From (haskell.org), scored 31 with 9 comments.
- I/O is not a monad. From (r6.ca), scored 31 with 23 comments.
- Eliza in 70 lines of Haskell. From (github.com), scored 28 with 7 comments.
- The "Whole Program" Fallacy. From (lukepalmer.wordpress.com), scored 26 with 10 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What Haskell representation is recommended for 2D, unboxed pixel arrays with millions of pixels? votes: 48, answers: 3
- Good introductory text about GHC implementation? votes: 24, answers: 2
- Questions on a Haskell -> C# conversion votes: 13, answers: 3
- Can't perform I/O in foldr? votes: 12, answers: 4
- What does "this function will fuse" mean? votes: 11, answers: 3
- Haskell function type question votes: 10, answers: 3
- Is this always true: fmap (foldr f z) . sequenceA = foldr (liftA2 f) (pure z) votes: 10, answers: 1
- Difference between hsc2hs and c2hs? votes: 8, answers: 2
- Is it possible to create PHP extensions in Haskell? votes: 8, answers: 2
- How can configuration tools like sdl-config be used with a cabalized project? votes: 8, answers: 2
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz