Welcome to issue 301 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers from July 27 to August 2, 2014
Quotes of the Week
- bernalex: I used to have a problem then I used lens now I have an abstraction problem?
- trap_exit: haskell is like the 'and they lived happily ever after' of programming languages
Top Reddit Stories
- The Comonad.Reader » Letter to a Young Haskell Enthusiast. From (comonad.com), scored 236 with 56 comments.
- seL4 is now open source: the world's first end-to-end verified OS kernel. From (github.com), scored 87 with 20 comments.
- FP Haskell Center now free for open projects. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 81 with 23 comments.
- -XOverlappingInstances and -XIncoherentInstances to be deprecated. From (haskell.org), scored 76 with 64 comments.
- First-Class "Statements": IO as data. From (blog.jle.im), scored 68 with 32 comments.
- Foldable and Traversable in Haskell. From (blog.jakubarnold.cz), scored 61 with 30 comments.
- Minimalist GUI toolkit in GHCi. From (github.com), scored 61 with 7 comments.
- early adopters rejoyce! Haskell Platform 2014.2.0.0 Release Candidate 2. From (haskell.org), scored 48 with 27 comments.
- The Modular, Functional Client Side. From (stackbuilders.com), scored 46 with 3 comments.
- Beware of bracket. From (ro-che.info), scored 46 with 18 comments.
- Real World Haskell: Shipping "Carnival", a Blog Commenting Service. From (robots.thoughtbot.com), scored 44 with 5 comments.
- Flee traveller! Flee or you will be corrupted and devoured!. From (github.com), scored 41 with 16 comments.
- Reading files from the /proc filesystem. From (yesodweb.com), scored 35 with 4 comments.
- clckwrks CMS source now on github. A sad farewell to darcs and an optimistic look towards greater contributions from the community.. From (clckwrks.com), scored 33 with 31 comments.
- Introduction to GHC.TypeLits with base 4.7, including runtime conversion of symbols.. From (ponies.io), scored 32 with 13 comments.
- Converting Make to Shake. From (neilmitchell.blogspot.com), scored 23 with 14 comments.
- Learn Snap: Interactive Snap + Heist Examples. From (learnsnap.chromaticleaves.com), scored 21 with 14 comments.
- Hackage: ghc-server: A server interface to GHC.. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 18 with 14 comments.
- Bloggy Badger: Homemade FRP: a study in following the types. From (gelisam.blogspot.com), scored 17 with 1 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- IO/Monadic assign operator causing ghci to explode for infinite list votes: 16, answers: 1
- A performance conundrum votes: 14, answers: 1
- Does an unused let binding have any effect in Haskell? votes: 12, answers: 3
- In Haskell, are guards or matchers preferable? votes: 12, answers: 1
- If MonadPlus is the “generator” class, then what is the “consumer” class? votes: 12, answers: 2
- Why would using head/tail instead of pattern matching make evaluation terminate? votes: 12, answers: 3
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz