Welcome to issue 277 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of August 11 to 17, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- psygnisfive: Seminearring is the task of giving seminars.
- Taneb: You know you've made it when SPJ asks you for help with Haskell.
- byorgey: . o O ( "For my next trick, I will CPS-encode this rabbit!" -- edwardk )
- shachaf: I prefer the cogolden rule: When CPS-transforming, doubt.
- edwardk: "You see these scars? I got them back in 7.7."
- danharaj: parsing is hard, let's go shopping
Top Reddit Stories
- Mio: A High-Performance Multicore IO Manager for GHC [pdf]. From (haskell.cs.yale.edu), scored 147 with 31 comments.
- Destroying Performance with Strictness. From (neilmitchell.blogspot.ru), scored 92 with 45 comments.
- A great series of posts on the power of monoids. From (self.haskell), scored 78 with 10 comments.
- Cellular Automata by Edward Kmett. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 69 with 7 comments.
- Elm 0.9 - New type checker, much better error messages. From (elm-lang.org), scored 50 with 14 comments.
- Revisiting Matrix Multiplication, Part I by Edward Kmett. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 45 with 4 comments.
- Revisiting Matrix Multiplication, Part II by Edward Kmett. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 37 with 9 comments.
- Roles: a new feature of GHC (patch GND + type families). From (typesandkinds.wordpress.com), scored 34 with 28 comments.
- Type Inference, Haskell and Dependent Types :: PDF. From (personal.cis.strath.ac.uk), scored 33 with 0 comments.
- Embedded Languages for High-Performance Computing [Chakravarty, PDF 70 slides]. From (speakerdeck.com), scored 31 with 4 comments.
- Graph drawing with gloss. From (mazzo.li), scored 30 with 7 comments.
- Benchmarking sqlite-simple against Python and C. From (nurpax.github.io), scored 28 with 9 comments.
- What is "lifting"? Explained on stackoverflow. From (stackoverflow.com), scored 25 with 7 comments.
- GHC API: Interpreted, compiled and package modules. From (parenz.wordpress.com), scored 23 with 0 comments.
- Time to start writing on the new binding: SDL 2.0 release.. From (lists.libsdl.org), scored 22 with 15 comments.
- FP Complete's Haskell programming competition now accepting entries. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 21 with 7 comments.
- Pretext by experiments and guesses. From (fpcomplete.com), scored 18 with 15 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Haskell random numbers suddenly start to “converge” after months of running votes: 30, answers: 1
- Why does ghc generate so many useless-looking nested case expressions? votes: 10, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz