Welcome to issue 259 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of February 10 to 16, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- frerich: i thought endo is where the ewoks live
- edwardk: on the other hand i also write excessively polymorphic code
Top Reddit Stories
- Comonads are objects. From (haskellforall.com), scored 105 with 86 comments.
- GHC HEAD now has OverloadedLists as an extension - allowing you to more easily specify literal Maps, Text, Vector, ByteString etc values.. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 86 with 66 comments.
- GHC HEAD: new parallel I/O manager merged. From (haskell.org), scored 67 with 39 comments.
- The Algebra of Algebraic Data Types (Part I). From (chris-taylor.github.com), scored 51 with 23 comments.
- deprecation rage :: hpaste. From (hpaste.org), scored 49 with 9 comments.
- Github incorrectly recognizes haskell code as perl thus making language usage studies based on github useless.. From (github.com), scored 45 with 45 comments.
- StackOverflow [haskell] hits 10k questions!. From (imgur.com), scored 41 with 31 comments.
- Don Stewart provides a great concise overview of the many areas of Haskell performance analysis. From (stackoverflow.com), scored 39 with 1 comments.
- The Algebra of Algebraic Data Types, Part 2. From (chris-taylor.github.com), scored 37 with 9 comments.
- Upcoming conduit 1.0 & comparison to pipes & io-streams. From (yesodweb.com), scored 32 with 11 comments.
- Library: A collection of tools for processing PDF files in Haskell. From (github.com), scored 31 with 38 comments.
- Introduction to Haskell, Lecture 5 is Live (Creating Data Types). From (shuklan.com), scored 29 with 2 comments.
- FP Complete Hiring for Haskell evangelist / customer and community relations advocate. From (haskellers.com), scored 28 with 0 comments.
- Quick and Easy DSLs with Writer Endo. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 22 with 17 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Least-strict (*) votes: 17, answers: 2
- Referential transparency with polymorphism in Haskell votes: 14, answers: 1
- Truncating to Word type votes: 11, answers: 1
- Is there a generalization of these Free-like constructions? votes: 11, answers: 0
- How fast is Data.Sequence.Seq compared to ? votes: 9, answers: 1
- Does FreeT keep the equational reasoning benefits of Free? votes: 9, answers: 1
- Understanding recursion in Haskell votes: 7, answers: 5
- What laws are the standard Haskell type classes expected to uphold? votes: 7, answers: 2
- What does (== “ ”) mean, in Haskell? votes: 7, answers: 4
- Linking separate projects in GHC votes: 7, answers: 1
- What are structures with “subtraction” but no inverse? votes: 7, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz