Welcome to issue 245 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of September 16 to September 22, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- dmwit: You have your intuition correct, despite all the pedantry in the room.
- Cale: THIS CODE IS EXCELLENT CODE, I AM AN EXCELLENT ENTERPRISE PROGRAMMER ACCOMPLISHING REAL WORLD TASKS USING PATTERNS LIKE I READ ABOUT IN ALL THE JAVA BLOGS
- byorgey: HASKELL is a pure, functional, strongly typed language featuring a name with all capitals, so it is suitable for beginners
- ciaranm: a comonad is just a comonoid in the category of endofunctors. what's the coproblem?
- dmwit: ISAAC -- ignore success at all costs
- merijn: If you're not gonna use the types [by writing them] you might as well just write python
- Cale: The real reason for the installed size of GHC being so large is that in the background it secretly downloads a video of SPJ riding a unicycle.
Top Reddit Stories
- First commercial Haskell-powered (game logic) computer game? (Nikki and the Robots Story Episodes). From (buy.joyridelabs.de), scored 57 with 27 comments.
- Common misconceptions about Safe Haskell. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 49 with 23 comments.
- The MonadTrans class is missing a method. From (haskellforall.com), scored 44 with 32 comments.
- The Haskell Implementors' Workshop videos and slides available online. From (haskell.org), scored 43 with 4 comments.
- HIW 2012. Simon Peyton Jones: GHC Status Update. - YouTube. From (youtube.com), scored 37 with 12 comments.
- Comparing Snap's and Yesod's Template Languages Heist and Hamlet. From (gist.github.com), scored 36 with 33 comments.
- Request: Tutorial on debugging using stack trace features of GHC 7.4. From (self.haskell), scored 31 with 6 comments.
- A kind for regions. From (monoidal.blogspot.com), scored 29 with 27 comments.
- [screencast] Quick introduction to Haskell using Gtk and the web. From (vimeo.com), scored 28 with 4 comments.
- Warp optimization - Sending header and body at once. From (yesodweb.com), scored 27 with 17 comments.
- Runtime Codegeneration in Haskell: Harpy vs. LLVM. From (blog.wien.tomnetworks.com), scored 24 with 10 comments.
- Show off your Vim/Emacs config!. From (self.haskell), scored 24 with 7 comments.
- Elm 0.4: Graphics Upgrade! Markdown, better for games, new optimizations, minification, .... From (elm-lang.org), scored 22 with 1 comments.
- Making your zipper disappear with Zippo. From (brandon.si), scored 22 with 6 comments.
- [ANNOUNCE] Juicy.Pixels 2.0 - With Gif file decoding. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 20 with 12 comments.
- Videos from this the CUFP 2012 in Copenhagen are now up. From (cufp.org), scored 17 with 2 comments.
- Haskell developer jobs at StanChart - London, Singapore and Tianjin. From (haskellers.com), scored 17 with 6 comments.
- New GHCJS Hello World (can you find the hidden game?). From (ghcjs.github.com), scored 17 with 10 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- "What part of Milner-Hindley do you not understand?" votes: 73, answers: 4
- Matching on type level Nat in GHC 7.6 votes: 17, answers: 1
- Threading extra state through a parser in Scala votes: 16, answers: 1
- find all types that are instances of a typeclass votes: 13, answers: 1
- When to use various language pragmas and optimisations? votes: 13, answers: 2
- What are these explicit “forall”s doing? votes: 12, answers: 1
- How does the ST monad work? votes: 11, answers: 2
- What are the pros and cons of adding additional functions/combinators to a typeclass definition? votes: 10, answers: 2
- Type parameters constraints for instances of typeclasses with kind * -> * votes: 9, answers: 2
- Theoretically, is this a valid comonad instance for a list? votes: 9, answers: 2
- In haskell how can I uppercase a unicode character with respect to current locale votes: 9, answers: 1
- Does haskell erase types? votes: 8, answers: 2
- Is there an Iteratee-like concept which pulls data from multiple sources? votes: 8, answers: 4
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz