Welcome to issue 222 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of April 1 to 7, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- tgeeky_: "What I cannot create, I do not understand." -- Richard Feynman, on his blackboard when he died in 1988.
- elliott: ... [a] is more of a control structure than a data structure.
- Cale: Basically, we've known how to implement first class functions efficiently for 20 or 30 years now, and we've known about their importance to abstraction in programming since before the advent of electronic computers. There's no excuse to still be writing new programs in languages without them.
- edwardk: When someone throws an exception at you, duck.
- luite: I think it uses levenshtein distance (he invented this distance because nobody could spell his name correctly)
- edwardk: 'hey ghc devs can you fix this thing that might or might not be a bug so we can break a huge pile of invariants in your compiler to put go faster stripes on something nobody uses? k thx'
Top Reddit Stories
- Tfoo, my simple Five in a Row game. Online, with server-sent events, deployed to Heroku, open source.. From (tfoo.herokuapp.com), scored 49 with 18 comments.
- Interacting with inner-functions in GHCi [StackOverflow]. From (stackoverflow.com), scored 48 with 12 comments.
- ANN: acme-http. 221,693.0 req/s on the PONG benchmark.. From (groups.google.com), scored 42 with 4 comments.
- Recent haskell-mode changes screencast. From (youtube.com), scored 39 with 15 comments.
- An Haskell tutorial. What do you think?. From (yannesposito.com), scored 39 with 47 comments.
- Galois' Open-Source code available on github. From (corp.galois.com), scored 38 with 3 comments.
- Wadler’s Law Revisited. From (comonad.com), scored 27 with 9 comments.
- With Linux supporting x32 ABI, should GHC follow suit?. From (self.haskell), scored 23 with 6 comments.
- cabal-meta: transcending to dependency heaven. From (yesodweb.com), scored 22 with 27 comments.
- [Haskell-cafe] A Modest Records Proposal. From (haskell.org), scored 21 with 7 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What is the best way to test and interact with inner functions defined inside a toplevel function? votes: 44, answers: 1
- How can a Windows service application be written in Haskell? votes: 15, answers: 1
- What does ':..' mean in Haskell? votes: 12, answers: 2
- Is the whole Map copied when a new binding is inserted? votes: 10, answers: 3
- Haskell functions left-to-right votes: 10, answers: 1
- How can I avoid writing boilerplate code for functions performing pattern matching? votes: 9, answers: 3
- Controlling how test data is generated in QuickCheck votes: 8, answers: 1
- Can I get warnings about overly-restrictive type signatures? votes: 8, answers: 1
- Slowdown when using parallel strategies in Haskell votes: 8, answers: 1
- Dealing with boilerplate in Haskell votes: 7, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz