Welcome to issue 221 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the week of March 25 to 31, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- Tekmo: Now I have a monoid in the category of problems.
- hpc: atomically the whole thing
- BMeph (in "announcer voice"): In a world, where orphan instances collide, one language holds the key to successful compilation, in our time.
- thoughtpolice: if there is a question, edwardk probably has the answer
- danharaj: All I have to do is remove me from the program and it works.
- anonymous: Caveat implementor.
- ski: `getLine :: IO String' is a recipe for how to interact with the world to acquire a `String'
ski: the recipe is not the cake
Top Reddit Stories
- My Thesis is Finally Complete! "Elm: Concurrent FRP for functional GUIs". From (self.haskell), scored 74 with 31 comments.
- ANNOUNCE: Happstack 7! (Haskell Web Framework). From (happstack.com), scored 51 with 26 comments.
- pipes-like conduit. From (yesodweb.com), scored 49 with 84 comments.
- SIMD Support for the vector library. From (ghc-simd.blogspot.co.uk), scored 45 with 6 comments.
- Replacing Cabal. From (yesodweb.com), scored 40 with 7 comments.
- Summarizing the conduit questions. From (yesodweb.com), scored 33 with 13 comments.
- I love `RWST r w s (IO a) ` to ease the transition from imperative programming. Am I cheating?. From (self.haskell), scored 31 with 53 comments.
- FRP - Three principles for bidirectional GUI elements. From (apfelmus.nfshost.com), scored 30 with 11 comments.
- haskell-src-exts-1.12.0: supports the new quasi-quoter syntax. From (haskell.org), scored 28 with 6 comments.
- Why GADTs are awesome: implementing System F using HOAS. From (github.com), scored 25 with 7 comments.
- Reactive-banana: new major release. From (apfelmus.nfshost.com), scored 24 with 3 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Does Haskell require a garbage collector? votes: 40, answers: 7
- Can you recognize an infinite list in a Haskell program? [closed] votes: 20, answers: 5
- Confusion regarding a passage in the "Kinds and some type-foo" section of learnyouahaskell.com votes: 12, answers: 1
- Haskell: Correct practice to specify version in source? votes: 7, answers: 2
- How to count the number of times a fuction was called, the FP way votes: 7, answers: 2
- how to translate Haskell into Scalaz? votes: 7, answers: 2
- In which languages is function abstraction not primitive votes: 7, answers: 7
- Is it possible to debug pattern matching in a Haskell function? votes: 6, answers: 3
- Generate cabal file with dependencies on foreign libs votes: 5, answers: 2
- Is there a monadic version of Arbitrary to use with QuickCheck? votes: 5, answers: 2
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz