Welcome to the 217th issue of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community during the week of February 19 to 25, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- nand`: oh, wait, ANSI is the physical layout
- cmccann: some programmers have a problem to solve and think "I know, I need an existential type." now they have another problem, but can't solve it because all they know about it is that the problem exists.
- Philippa: The only data type is Nat! (Which succs).
- hpc: peano arithmetic SSSSZ life
- cmccann: unicode snowman is a valid identifier in Haskell, BTW
- Jafet: Haskell is an imperatively functional abstract enterprise programming language template
- Cale: Array is immutable boxed
Cale: UArray is immutable unboxed
Cale: IOArray is mutable boxed
elliott: IOUArray is an array of debts.
- c_wraith: It [C] frees you to use whatever data structure you want, by providing you none!
- Brandon Allbery: If you absolutely insist on shooting yourself in the foot this way in Haskell, it can be done; but there is no reason Haskell should make it *easy* to do so. That's C's superpower. :)
Top Reddit Stories
- ANNOUNCE: Sodium, a new Haskell FRP (Reactive Programming) system. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 41 with 38 comments.
- Adventures in Parsec - Parsing logs in Haskell. From (variadic.me), scored 31 with 24 comments.
- Wanted: an efficient union algorithm for hash-array mapped tries. From (blog.johantibell.com), scored 30 with 13 comments.
- How reliable is Hackage supposed to be?. From (self.haskell), scored 29 with 20 comments.
- Mathematics in the Age of the Turing Machine -- I recommend starting in section 2. From (math.pitt.edu), scored 28 with 1 comments.
- Conduits: Simplifying ResourceT. From (yesodweb.com), scored 28 with 6 comments.
- Clarifying a mis-understanding about regions (and iteratees). From (haskell.org), scored 27 with 4 comments.
- Concatenative Haskell Part II: Custom DSL Syntax Using QuasiQuotes. From (github.com), scored 25 with 6 comments.
- Designing a serialization API. From (blog.johantibell.com), scored 24 with 1 comments.
- Getting Started with Disciple Core. From (disciple.ouroborus.net), scored 19 with 1 comments.
- hs-logo: Logo turtle graphics interpreter written in Haskell. From (deepakjois.github.com), scored 18 with 5 comments.
- The Simply-typed Lambda Calculus with Constraints. From (flippac.wordpress.com), scored 16 with 3 comments.
- Data Structure Agnostic JSON Serialization. From (blog.melding-monads.com), scored 14 with 1 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Evaluation strategy votes: 19, answers: 4
- Guards vs. if-then-else vs. cases in Haskell votes: 18, answers: 2
- Division by zero in Haskell votes: 15, answers: 4
- Memory efficient strings in Haskell votes: 15, answers: 2
- What prevents an efficient Haskell virtual machine (like JVM)? votes: 12, answers: 4
- Is indexing of Data.Vector.Unboxed.Mutable.MVector really this slow? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Haskell: filtering a heterogenous list by type votes: 10, answers: 2
- ghci tab-completion in haskell-mode votes: 10, answers: 1
- Non-maintainer uploads to Hackage votes: 10, answers: 2
- withFile vs. openFile votes: 9, answers: 4
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz