Welcome to issue 216 of the HWN, a newsletter covering crowdsourced links for the Haskell community. This release covers the week of February 12 to 18, 2012.
Quotes of the Week
- monochrom: the selfish program's motive is to fool the programmer
- WilliamByrd: Oleg is an emissary from some advanced alien race. Working with him is both exhausting and enlightening.
- CodeWeaverX: do-block, or do-not-block. There is no try-catch-block.
Top Reddit Stories
- Where is Hackage 2.0?. From (self.haskell), scored 66 with 42 comments.
- Haskell Performance Patters [HTML slideshow]. From (blog.johantibell.com), scored 52 with 13 comments.
- Concatenative, Row-Polymorphic Programming in Haskell (re: Why Concatenative Programming Matters). From (github.com), scored 41 with 21 comments.
- Neil Mitchell - Shake: A Better Make. From (neilmitchell.blogspot.com), scored 37 with 7 comments.
- Why concatenative programming matters.. From (evincarofautumn.blogspot.com), scored 37 with 23 comments.
- GSOC 2012 Project Proposal - GHCi in the web browser. From (apfelmus.nfshost.com), scored 36 with 34 comments.
- Yesod Blog :: Call for GSoC: expand the reach of Haskell with interactive websites and good persistence. From (yesodweb.com), scored 31 with 20 comments.
- hxournal - A pen notetaking program written in Haskell. From (ianwookim.org), scored 25 with 16 comments.
- Type checking by theorem proving in IDRIS: Brady [pdf, 29 slides]. From (cs.st-andrews.ac.uk), scored 25 with 33 comments.
- Using Lawvere theories to combine effects. From (blog.sigfpe.com), scored 24 with 0 comments.
- BayHac '12. From (haskell.org), scored 23 with 0 comments.
- Hope for Haskell: making Hackage and cabal-install more awesome. From (github.com), scored 22 with 23 comments.
- Thoughts on Haskell Development. From (self.haskell), scored 21 with 77 comments.
- Relating Category Theory to Programming Language Theory - MathOverflow. From (mathoverflow.net), scored 21 with 1 comments.
- The Other Prelude - any activity here? It seems like a worthwhile project.. From (haskell.org), scored 18 with 13 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Covariance / Contravariance in Haskell? votes: 24, answers: 2
- Haskell for someone who already knows some category theory votes: 17, answers: 1
- Haskell libraries overview and their quality [closed] votes: 16, answers: 1
- Haskell existential quantification in detail votes: 12, answers: 1
- Derivative Towers and how to use the vector-space package (haskell) votes: 11, answers: 1
- Why doesn't Scala have an IO Monad? votes: 10, answers: 1
- How to let a function [a] -> [a] operate on [(a,Int)]? votes: 9, answers: 2
- Speed up runhaskell votes: 9, answers: 4
- Unnecessary type juggling to define Data.Void (package “void” on Hackage)? votes: 8, answers: 1
- Lazy vs eager evaluation and double linked list building votes: 8, answers: 3
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz