Welcome to issue 196 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of August 14 to 20, 2011.
New and Updated Projects
- graphziz (Update - Ivan Lazar Miljenovic) Wraper around Graphviz.
- TKYProf (New - Mitsutoshi Aoe) A web-based interactive visualizer for GHC time and allocation profiling.
Quotes of the Week
- accel: next time I'll read a few research papers before I start trolling hakell
- jmcarthur: your opinions all suck. i'm going back to #haskell (...) oh shit, i'm already there
Top Reddit Stories
- Haskell For Kids: Week 1. From (cdsmith.wordpress.com), scored 37 with 13 comments.
- New IBM CPU has transactional memory built in. From (nextbigfuture.com), scored 35 with 4 comments.
- [GSoC] Text/UTF-8: Aftermath. From (jaspervdj.be), scored 32 with 7 comments.
- CamHac post-hackathon report. From (haskell.org), scored 31 with 8 comments.
- GHC 7.4 won't have top-level MonoPatBinds anymore!. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 25 with 5 comments.
- Ending GSoC (cabal repl). From (lambdasandwich.blogspot.com), scored 25 with 1 comments.
- If one of Haskell's goals is concurrency, then why is it based on the lambda-calculus and not on a process calculus?. From (en.wikipedia.org), scored 23 with 39 comments.
- University of Reddit Class: "Fixing Imperative Programmers". From (reddit.com), scored 22 with 2 comments.
- A Command Line Reddit Viewer written in Haskell : programming (xpost : /programming ). From (reddit.com), scored 22 with 0 comments.
- Web-Based Environment for Gloss (Early Alpha: READ WARNINGS!). From (cdsmith.wordpress.com), scored 21 with 1 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- What are practical uses of applicative style? votes: 21, answers: 9
- Functional equivalent of decorator pattern? votes: 20, answers: 7
- Why do 3 and x (which was assigned 3) have different inferred types in Haskell? votes: 18, answers: 2
- Haskell tuple constructor (GHC) and the separation between a language and its implementation votes: 15, answers: 1
- Polymorphism within higher-order functions? votes: 13, answers: 1
- What happens to missing type variables in Church-style core? votes: 12, answers: 2
- Trying to implement Data.Either votes: 12, answers: 1
- How can I make file I/O more transactional? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Trying to understand the types produced by monad transformers votes: 11, answers: 2
- Why doesn't Safe Haskell support Template Haskell? votes: 11, answers: 1
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz