Welcome to issue 191 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of July 10 to 16, 2011.
Brent Yorgey put out a call for articles for the next Monad.Reader, which will be focused on parallelism and concurrency.
Quotes of the Week
- PenguinOfDoom: Being enlightened gentlemen, we split all programming languages into two groups, sucks and doesn't-suck and put all of them into the first group.
- cmccann: beta reducing the chainsaws can be tricky
- kmc: edwardk measures API lifetime in hours
- _Ray_: the difference in mathematical/CS knowledge of the average haskeller, and the average PHPer, is likely similar to that of the average PHPer and a banana
- quicksilver: [on LYAH] by the time I read it I knew everything it was trying to teach, so I just thought "Yay! Cute caterpillar".
- edwardk: shapr is the only person i know of who just decides to drive across the country with a car full of machetes
- copumpkin is now known as contrapumpkin. contrapumpkin is now known as yoda. yoda is now known as coyoda.
- Eduard_Munteanu: Yonoda
- coedwardk: i keep reading coyoda as coyoneda
- monochrom: I read it as toyota
- Eduard_Munteanu: Mmm, the monad is strong in this one...
- monochrom: rumours actually say that it should be toyoda but the japaneses want it easier on americans, so toyota
Top Reddit Stories
- The Haskell School of Music - new book being written by Paul Hudak. From (plucky.cs.yale.edu), scored 66 with 9 comments.
- Confusion between (.) and ($) operators. From (self.haskell), scored 41 with 27 comments.
- Fitter, happier, more productive UTF-8 decoding. From (serpentine.com), scored 35 with 6 comments.
- Static Single Assignment for Functional Programmers. From (wingolog.org), scored 30 with comments.
- [GSoC] Text/UTF-8: Initial results. From (jaspervdj.be), scored 29 with 14 comments.
- Data Driven Programming in haskell - live screencast. What are your tips/suggestions?. From (entirelysubjective.com), scored 29 with 17 comments.
- Ur/Web is hiring: web metaprogramming with class. From (haskell.org), scored 28 with 11 comments.
- Monads in C++. Bartosz Milewski's Programming Cafe. From (bartoszmilewski.wordpress.com), scored 23 with 0 comments.
- The Typeable class is changing. From (haskell.org), scored 22 with 2 comments.
- Reverse Engineering of Compiled Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 18 with 22 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Haskell - How to avoid typing the same context over and over again? votes: 18, answers: 3
- Haskell iteratee: simple worked example of stripping trailing whitespace votes: 14, answers: 1
- Parametrised data type in Scala votes: 12, answers: 2
- How to organize Haskell modules with instances: stick to data type vs type class? votes: 10, answers: 1
- On improving Haskell's performance compared to C in fibonacci micro-benchmark votes: 10, answers: 3
- Constructing a tuple (or list) from already-existing objects - what is the cost? votes: 9, answers: 2
- Writing A Function Polymorphic In A Type Family votes: 9, answers: 1
- Haskell Lazy ByteString + read/write progress function votes: 9, answers: 1
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz