Welcome to issue 190 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of July 3 to 9, 2011.
Karel Gardas announced that he, Stephen Blackheath, and David Terei are "working together on ARM registerised port of GHC. The port is using LLVM as a code generator and is kind of working already." Testing is much appreciated!
Matthias Fischmann inveted people to the HacPhi satellite in Berlin on July 29-31. See the post for details. Admission is free, but there is limited space, so don't wait too long!
Quotes of the Week
- chrisdone: [on hpaste as motivational tool] When I added hlint I was like 'hey Neil, check this', and he was all 'Oh noes! I must fix all the bugs!'
- luite: *amacleod started excising GOTOs from his BASIC code when he was 10. *roconnor started excising GOTOs from his Pascal code when he was 11. *luite used goto's in his C code last year.
- AlanPerlis: One can't proceed from the informal to the formal by formal means.
- Axman6: well, if C++ is anything to go by, the next Haskell will have lambdas and easy concurrency!
- Cale: Constructing a definition from a type is formally the same thing as constructing a proof from a theorem. (Just with different logical systems in place :)
- xplat: im in ur Sierpinski space, classifyin' ur subobjects
- cmccann: in ContT, flow controls you
- [Kron] What is the meaning of life? D: [joe6] learning agda?
- camccann: Applying readFile to a file path doesn't return a String value any more than putting a steak next to a meat grinder magically turns them into a hamburger.
- blackdog: the type system makes you strong, makes you hard.
Top Reddit Stories
- GHC on ARM. From (ghcarm.wordpress.com), scored 35 with 4 comments.
- The Monad.Reader Issue 18. From (themonadreader.wordpress.com), scored 32 with 3 comments.
- Haskell vs. ML in the context of "Worse is Better". From (news.ycombinator.com), scored 31 with 25 comments.
- Do (side) effects really need a total order?. From (pchiusano.blogspot.com), scored 31 with 8 comments.
- Call for GUI examples - Any small GUI applications that you would like to see implemented with Functional Reactive Programming?. From (apfelmus.nfshost.com), scored 30 with 13 comments.
- Impredicative Polymorphism - A Use Case. From (augustss.blogspot.com), scored 23 with 6 comments.
- Yesod :: Testimonials from a developer and designer. From (yesodweb.com), scored 19 with 9 comments.
- Parallelizing a nonogram solver. From (jaspervdj.be), scored 14 with 2 comments.
- A Haskell newbie's guide to Snap, Part 2. From (learnmeahaskell.blogspot.com), scored 13 with 0 comments.
- Losing my mind: Is Rhask (R language+Haskell) a real entity?. From (self.haskell), scored 11 with 8 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- How to gain control of a 5GB heap in Haskell? votes: 27, answers: 1
- Using higher-order Haskell types in C# votes: 16, answers: 2
- Why applicative functors in Haskell and functional programming votes: 16, answers: 6
- Is there OS written in Haskell? votes: 16, answers: 3
- A good way to avoid “sharing”? votes: 15, answers: 1
- Hard Time Learning Haskell [migrated] votes: 13, answers: 0
- Creating a Haskell REPL within a Haskell application votes: 11, answers: 1
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz