Welcome to issue 286 of the HWN, an issue covering crowd-sourced bits of information about Haskell from around the web. This issue covers the weeks of November 03 to 09, 2013.
Quotes of the Week
- edwardk: (->) is syntax, sadly.
- chrisdone: my brother was killed by an IO monad
hpc: i guess it started as an evaluation, but ended up as an execution...
- mauke: no, haskell doesn't support trees
- un1xguy: first web server was written in php...
Top Reddit Stories
- Haskell, the Language Most Likely to Change the Way you Think About Programming. From (m.huffpost.com), scored 54 with 71 comments.
- Announcing 24 Days of Hackage 2013 - I need your help!. From (ocharles.org.uk), scored 53 with 45 comments.
- Pyret: New teaching language from makers of Racket with ADTs and pattern matching. From (pyret.org), scored 47 with 25 comments.
- haskintex: Write and run Haskell within LaTeX. From (daniel-diaz.github.io), scored 42 with 14 comments.
- Haskell.org SSL rollout. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 41 with 9 comments.
- Why Lists?. From (self.haskell), scored 36 with 54 comments.
- Frege: a JVM pure functional programming language in the spirit of Haskell. From (github.com), scored 36 with 22 comments.
- Switching from imperative to functional programming with games in Elm (xpost from /r/programming). From (github.com), scored 35 with 11 comments.
- FP Complete is hiring a Ruby expert Haskeller. Help bring Haskell to Rubyists!. From (self.haskell), scored 34 with 26 comments.
- plaimi’s introduction to Haskell for the Haskell-curious game programmer [PDF]. From (secure.plaimi.net), scored 31 with 21 comments.
- The F# Computation Expression Zoo (Why "computation expressions" are not just an "enterprise-y monad"). From (tomasp.net), scored 31 with 18 comments.
- Try PureScript. From (tryps.functorial.com), scored 30 with 13 comments.
- Internship at Facebook London working on Haxl. From (haskell.org), scored 30 with 4 comments.
- Soostone is hiring in Turkey. From (haskell.org), scored 29 with 15 comments.
- Mind-bending behavior for deserialization in Haskell. From (justinleitgeb.com), scored 25 with 75 comments.
- Hudak and Jones - An Experiment in Software Prototyping Productivity - 1994 [PDF]. From (cs.yale.edu), scored 24 with 9 comments.
- Webcast: Designing Domain Specific Languages with Haskell - Michael Snoyman - 2012-11-14. From (oreillynet.com), scored 23 with 0 comments.
- Code review request: Wikipedia API for Haskell. From (self.haskell), scored 23 with 25 comments.
- transliterate: A korean transliteration library targeting GHC, Fay, and JS. From (github.com), scored 21 with 16 comments.
- lens-family 1.0.0. From (comments.gmane.org), scored 20 with 5 comments.
- Gershom Bazerman, NYC Haskell Meetup Organizer, interviewed for your great learning. From (rogueleaderr.com), scored 20 with 0 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- “Eta reduce” is not always held in Haskell? votes: 11, answers: 1
- Data Constructor promotion in GHC-7.6 votes: 10, answers: 0
- best way to check arguments of a function in haskell votes: 9, answers: 1
- Processing a very large text file with lazy Texts and ByteStrings votes: 8, answers: 1
- Style vs Performance Using Vectors votes: 8, answers: 1
- Monad with no wrapped value? votes: 8, answers: 4
- Is it safe to reuse a conduit? votes: 7, answers: 1
- Haskell Repa stencil hacks votes: 6, answers: 1
- Are Functor instances unique? votes: 6, answers: 1
Until next time,
+Daniel Santa Cruz