Welcome to issue 202 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of September 25 to October 1, 2011.
New and Updated Projects
- ParserFunction (Enzo Fabrizio; 0.0.5) Provides utilities for parsing and evaluating mathematical expressions.
- flexiwrap (Iain Alexander; 0.1.0) Also updates to related packages: data-type, function-combine, and flexiwrap-smallcheck.
- crypto-api-tests (Thomas DuBuisson) These tests have been split out into their own package. Tests now use the test-framework package.
- hledger (Simon Michael; 0.16) Stability/bugfix/polish release.
- GA (Kenneth Hoste; 1.0) Major version bump to this genetic algorithms package.
Quotes of the Week
- glguy: lazy evaluation is best 50% of time because there are 2 cases, the cases where it is the best and the cases where it is not the best
- Cale: Computing lengths is admitting defeat
- syntaxfree: Many people think the core ideas behind Haskell [snip] In the Deep Complex Universe some Gnomes were having Tangling problems. Wadler & friends solved their problems and as a reward the Tangled Gnomes gave them the Secret of Haskell
- monochrom: How do I extract the IO out of IO String?
Top Reddit Stories
- GHC-specific alias analysis for LLVM. From (blog.omega-prime.co.uk), scored 74 with 4 comments.
- GHC Projects for All. From (dterei.blogspot.com), scored 45 with 2 comments.
- The Evolution of a Haskell Programmer. From (willamette.edu), scored 41 with 17 comments.
- Stanford CS240h, Functional Systems in Haskell course materials available on GitHub. From (github.com), scored 29 with 3 comments.
- Introduction to programming with shift and reset (Tutorial by Oleg). From (okmij.org), scored 29 with 1 comments.
- A few Haskell notes from the Strange Loop conference. From (serpentine.com), scored 27 with 2 comments.
- Par Monad Slides from CUFP. From (community.haskell.org), scored 27 with 0 comments.
- Slides from the CUFP 2011 Snap Framework Tutorial. From (gregorycollins.net), scored 23 with 0 comments.
- Haskell Job Opportunity at Sensor Sense. From (self.haskell), scored 22 with 1 comments.
- Slides from my Haskell Implementors Workshop talk. From (blog.johantibell.com), scored 20 with 3 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Learning Haskell with a view to learning Scala votes: 23, answers: 4
- Why are the functions making Vector an instance of Functor, Monad, Applicative, Alternative, Foldable and Traversable slow? votes: 11, answers: 2
- Strategies in Scala votes: 10, answers: 1
- What's the smoothest way to update haskell platform to latest? votes: 8, answers: 2
- Does Haskell have an equivalent to Sage? votes: 8, answers: 3
- Haskell syntax for 'or' in case expressions votes: 7, answers: 3
- Is operator && strict in Haskell? votes: 6, answers: 3
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz