August 3, 2011

Haskell Weekly News: Issue 193

Welcome to issue 193 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of July 24 to 30, 2011.

Announcements

Wouter Swierstra issued a call for participation to the 16th ACM SIGPLAN International Conference on Function Programming (ICFP 2011) to be held in Tokyo, Japon on September 19-21, 2011.

New and Updated Projects

These projects were announced in the mailing lists:

  • syntactic (Emil Axelsson): Update to version 0.5
  • Yi (Jeff Wheeler): Update to version 0.6.4.0

Quotes of the Week

  • sipa: it can optimize non-terminating programs into programs that output "<<loop>>" and quit; that's an optimization of infinity% !
  • fazzone: People generally seem to react the same way to "My first assembly was x86" as "My dog died" -- "Oh my god, I'm so sorry"
  • [danharaj] I hate myself [edwardk] happy to help
  • bos: the number of people who grok rank-K types is inversely proportional to ackermann(K)
  • copumpkin: holy shit, I'm unsafeCoerce
  • quicksilver: edwardk had this brilliant idea of how he could stress-test our package architecture
  • chrisdone: monoid sounds like a name for a hairless alien species that communicates telepathically from star trek
  • [copumpkin] I basically translated repa to agda and made it all safe n shit. also all slow n shit [thoughtpolice] safe n shit, like, type systems yo
  • theorbtwo: Well, that's one way to respond to ghc having overly-long error messages. Just replace all error messges with "that's the stupidist shit I've ever heard".
  • acowley: I'm 101% sure I never would have figured it out. I was told all hope was lost, then simonmar swung in on his web shooters and figured it out
  • quicksilver: agda is an alluring trap for haskell programmers who hope to write better code. instead they end up writing no code.

Top Reddit Stories

Top StackOverflow Questions

About the Haskell Weekly News

To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send stories to dstcruz@gmail.com.

Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz

No comments: