Welcome to issue 187 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of June 12 to 18, 2011.
Ian Lynagh announced a new patchlevel release of GHC (7.0.4). "This release contains a handful of bugfixes relative to 7.0.3, so we recommend upgrading."
Nicolas Wu released the third instance fo Haskell Parallel Digest. Many thanks to Nick and Eric for putting this together.
Jeroen Janssen invited us to the 8th Ghent Functional Programming Group Meeting, to be held on Thursday, the 30th of June, in the Technicum building of Ghent University.
Quotes of the Week
- monochrom: if I were dying to learn covariance, I would not be looking for entertainment, like, I'm dying, I only have 5 minutes to learn covariance, thank you very much
- hpc: the categorical dual of a hippomorphism should be a giraffomorphism
- ksf: but, as, maybe indeed or not apparently, english, in, or especially in, punctuation matters is an utter mess.
- 00:56:03 <benmachine> @faq can haskell tell if I am lagging [...] 00:57:18 <lambdabot> The answer is: Yes! Haskell can do that.
Top Reddit Stories
- Haskell: the Craft of Functional Programming, 3rd edition is out!. From (haskellcraft.com), scored 44 with 10 comments.
- GHC 7.0.4 is out. From (haskell.org), scored 42 with 2 comments.
- SafeHaskell pushed into GHC. From (haskell.org), scored 39 with 5 comments.
- Minimum footprint for a GHC program: or, think about your TSOs. From (stackoverflow.com), scored 23 with 0 comments.
- Pieces of Yesod: Inverting a Haskell Function. From (chplib.wordpress.com), scored 21 with 8 comments.
- The 2011 ICFP contest is starting in just 6 hours!. From (icfpcontest.org), scored 20 with 15 comments.
- A pattern for avoiding allocation : Inside T5. From (blog.ezyang.com), scored 19 with 12 comments.
- Package of the Day: an improved runghc for fast repeated runs. From (hackage.haskell.org), scored 16 with 9 comments.
- The Supero Supercompiler. From (community.haskell.org), scored 16 with 2 comments.
- Galois Video: Building an Open-Source Autonomous Quad-Copter. From (corp.galois.com), scored 15 with 3 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- Why does performGC fail to release all memory? votes: 17, answers: 2
- OSX, ghci, dylib, what is the correct way? votes: 17, answers: 1
- Why does Haskell's `head` crash on an empty list (or why *doesn't* it return an empty list)? (Language philosophy) votes: 15, answers: 6
- Towards understanding CodeGen* in the Haskell LLVM bindings votes: 13, answers: 1
- What happens to you if you break the monad laws? votes: 13, answers: 3
- Is anyone using delimited continuations to do web development in Haskell? votes: 12, answers: 3
- The concept of Bottom in Haskell votes: 12, answers: 1
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz