Welcome to issue 180 of the HWN, a newsletter covering developments in the Haskell community. This release covers the week of May 29 to June 04, 2011.
Sebastian Fischer wrote in to inform us of of a student internship for parallel Haskell at the National Institute of Informatics in Tokyo. The internship is for up to three months, between July and September 2011.
Eijiro Sumii reminded us that the ICFP Programming Contest 2011 will be starting on June 17.
Quotes of the Week
- Tom Murphy: Great! New I really can say "Come on! It's fun! I can write foldr with foldl!"
- Cale: C++, Y U SO UGLY?
- xplat: nae, that'd be 'arr, my small example ain't half near as yellow as a lily-livered spaniard! scupper me wi' a cutlass, arr.'
- Cale: rnf accidentally the entire data structure
Top Reddit Stories
- Haskell and parallelism in the Economist. From (economist.com), scored 66 with 5 comments.
- I have the world's coolest hoodie (X-post from r/programming). From (imgur.com), scored 28 with 15 comments.
- An OpenGL in Haskell anecdote which illustrates the obvious, HOpenGL is low level and imperative.. From (haskell.org), scored 27 with 24 comments.
- Yesod for non-Haskellers (also, for Haskellers). From (yesodweb.com), scored 27 with 2 comments.
- Fast forwarding lrand48(). From (blog.sigfpe.com), scored 24 with 0 comments.
- Silk (Haskell, semantic web start up) is hiring in Amsterdam. From (news.ycombinator.com), scored 24 with 0 comments.
- Nikki and the Robots 0.3 is out. From (joyridelabs.de), scored 23 with 7 comments.
- Introducing the Yesod Wiki. From (yesodweb.com), scored 19 with 0 comments.
- Communicating Haskell Processes: The Long And The Short Of It. From (chplib.wordpress.com), scored 19 with 0 comments.
- What libraries from scientific computing have yet to be written?. From (self.haskell), scored 17 with 23 comments.
Top StackOverflow Questions
- "A proof is a program; the formula it proves is a type for the program" [migrated]votes: 17, answers: 0
- Writing foldl using foldrvotes: 16, answers: 2
- Binary Serialization for Lists of Undefined Length in Haskellvotes: 13, answers: 1
- From C ++ to Haskell Classes and Statesvotes: 12, answers: 2
- Why does Haskell force data constructor's first letter to be upper case?votes: 11, answers: 3
- Why is such a function definition not allowed in haskell ?votes: 10, answers: 5
About the Haskell Weekly News
To help create new editions of this newsletter, please send
Until next time,
Daniel Santa Cruz